Monday, September 4, 2006

March 19, 1982

"Hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly." (Romans 5:5-6)

I love my baptism. Or, more accurately, I love the God whose grace is promised me within it. While I was a three-month-old baby still pooping in my diapers, incapable of doing anything morally noble or worthy or virtuous, the baptismal waters upon me sealed his promise to me that he saves me not by how wonderful I am or how free of filth (either that of sin or of the digestive result of last night's milk).

Now I can look back upon that morning at Immanuel Lutheran Church and breathe a sigh of joy and relief. Whenever I'm faced with my fallenness and sin, I need only say to myself, "Andrew, you were baptized and brought into God's family and promised righteousness by faith while you were still a helpless infant. Rest in your Father's love and grace." Amen!


P.S. - My mom made sauteed zucchini tonight while I grilled the Labor Day burgers.

No comments: