Thursday, May 10, 2007

Injustice and idiocy

Yesterday I read this article on CNN and was deeply saddened by it. I don't know how accurate it is, but if it's true, then this really disgusts me that innocent women (and men, I'm sure) are being executed for crimes they have not committed. Injustice--whether such an egregious offense as this or simply getting ripped off by a taxi driver who claims to have no change--is one of those things that infuriates me. Please pray for these injustices to be crushed and for truth to reign, especially that the church in Iraq would be a light for justice (Isaiah 59).

"You shall do no injustice in judgment; you shall not be partial to the poor nor defer to the great, but you are to judge your neighbor fairly. You shall not go about as a slanderer among your people, and you are not to act against the life of your neighbor; I am the LORD" (Leviticus 19:15-16).

But you know what the scary thing is? I looked at the woman's photograph and for some reason felt that it was a worse crime to corruptly try and hang her simply because she is reasonably attractive. As if it were a lesser crime to kill someone with less-pretty physical features! Who's the wicked one now, huh?

* * *

On top of that, CNN also posted this wonderful story about a law firm with a billboard saying, "Life's short. Get a divorce." It looks like they forgot that the duration for which one can maintain his pectoral muscles and abnormally hairless body or her artificial 36"-24"-36" figure is even shorter. Any takers for "till death do us part"?

4 comments:

Halfmom said...

Welcome to Chicago as I'm afraid we are the "home" of the sign. There's been a flurry of negative publicity but also interviews with the two WOMEN lawyers who run the firm who said they were not in any way promoting divorce, just happiness because life was short and people shouldn't be miserable - so, how about "for better or worse"? I was offended, as were you, in general, but I was more offended because it was two women. I'd risk a bet that there are more women that are left for younger more attractive ones that vise versa.

Halfmom said...

Hello, are you there?

Andrew said...

Uhh . . . yes, I'm here. Why?

Halfmom said...

Cause what fun is it to stalk people if they're not really there?

Actually, you just hadn't posted in a while and didn't respond to the comment I left, so I wondered how you were and how the job hunt was going - and I can't ever remember which email address is the correct one to use.

I just read your May email update - I whole-heartedly agree with your change in roles - you will make a good big-brother I think and help them learn to temper their enthusiasm with wisdom so that they can keep the ultimate goal in sight rather than just the immediate one. And, with where you are, that will be very important for them.

Here, we are one week past graduation - which is lovely since with the major change it took 5 years. She accepted a job yesterday with a charter school - inner city but on outer west fringe so it is possible to commute. Very challenging assignment, but exactly what she had prayed for - more mission than job and the ability to stay at home for at least a year to save some $.

Finish well friend. My prayers are with you, that this new assignment will be used to purify and refine you, clarifying in your heart what is needed for your future work.